Tuesday 24 May 2011

Before

Usually it works like this - I send a few emails, make a few calls, organise a few meetings and call in a few favours. Bit of gaffer tape here, bit of fire prevention (& fire fighting if something's escaped my attention) there. I usually get the chance to throw in my tuppence worth to contribute an idea or two for a hack/project but don't always have the time. Amazing things are made and then everyone goes home.

I measure how I've done a bit like the cliche about a referee having had a good game if you haven't noticed him*. The game ebbs and flows, teams perform and make space for individuals to shine.

This time was different. My tuppence worth wouldn't be enough. This time I'd have to throw in a couple of quid.

It was all same old, same old to begin with. I helped Tom, Tom and Dan organise the first Good for Nothing after meeting them at my first GoodGym monthly run. After the event, the dust settled and I made it clear I'd be up for helping out at the next one. When the call went out for good causes to work on at the next event, I suggested Bletchley Park (I try to drag my day job towards Bletchley, so why not the stuff I do evenings/weekends, too?).

All went swimmingly as I introduced the Toms (Dan was in Costa Rica) to Kelsey Griffin and Dr Sue Black. We came up with a brief everyone was happy with and Sue started to get excited about coming along as Bletchley's representative. Then as we were making final preparations, Sue updated her status.

She'll be fine for tomorrow, I thought. Tomorrow came and we were due to kick off at 7pm. Sue was feeling worse and it was clear she wasn't up to travelling. Up to my neck in Rewired State stuff, I kept in contact with Sue as we tried to find someone to stand in for her. We could always Skype or something, right?

In the end, I did it. I played a couple of short clips from Sue's appearance on Carpool and said a few words about Bletchley Park and the ideas we wanted to explore.

Despite dropping the bombshell that I'd be taking a group up to Bletchley Park the next morning on the 08:24 from London Euston, people were interested. People came to talk to me and scribble their names on the sign up sheet. Smiley, interesting and talented people asked me questions about Bletchley Park, Enigma machines, Alan Turing and more. I knew some of the answers!

We started to drink the refreshments kindly laid on by some of Good for Nothing's friends. We started to think about what we might do.

We were off.



*yes there are female referees but you don't see many. Or perhaps they're everywhere and doing such a great job that no one's noticed


Visit Good for Nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment